A Brief History of Pinewood
Pinewood Schools was founded as an American elementary/middle school for Kindergarten through Grade 8 in 1950. For its first three years, the school operated on the campus of Anatolia College before moving to the American Farm School in 1953. In 1962, an upper school for Grades 9-12, named Thessaloniki International High School, was founded, and over the next two years a new building large enough for all grade levels K-12 was constructed on the Anatolia campus.
In 1973, Pinewood was granted permission by the Greek government to accept students from any and all countries outside of Greece. In the fall of 1996, a Pre-Kindergarten program for four-year-olds was added and in 2008, a Pre-Kindergarten program for three-year-olds was added.
With a comprehensive PreK through Grade 12 academic program and international focus, the school's name was changed to Pinewood American International School of Thessaloniki in 2007. Today, it enrolls a student body of around 270 boys and girls from approximately 40 different countries. Pinewood began a new and exciting chapter in its school's history when its new campus opened in August 2008. The 2009-10 school year marked the school’s 60th year of service to the international and local communities of Thessaloniki.